Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tools of the trade

Once again, here I am. Another journy waiting to happen, as long as I can keep up with it. These are my adventures of life, living, and other poetic stuff that is day to day life. Not entirely sure how long this writing will last, but now that I have a home, it should be more constant.

I have moved four times in the last year, all to very different spots and now I am finally settling down in Lakewood, Ohio. For a year! That feels like such a long time now, but I know it will fly bye.

What prompted me to write this blithering documetary of my life was trying to make dinner. One wouldn't think that preparing a meal would require tools from your toolbox, but that is what I had to resort to. Let me start where one should....

I arive home after a long weekend on the Island and feel a weight lifting. I may have only been here for two days, but already it feels like home. I have the fixings for some brocolli corn cassarole and want to make it before my lovely roommate and costar, Jena, gets home. The breadcrumbs get mixed with the butter, the brocolli is thawing and everything is going well.

That is until I hit the corn. The corn is to be mixed with breadcrumbs, but there is a hitch. I have no way to open the cans. Now by this point I am in my pajamas and could not leave the house. First brainstorm to come to me is see if a fork will make a dent in it. Brainstorm failed. I serch the kitchen to find a knife! Success! But rather, not. Next to attempt the trial is the corkscrew. And yes, I do realize that if we have a corkscrew then we should be properly stocked enough to have a can opener. Point in fact we have two corkscrews, but still no can opener. By now there are plenty of dents, but no true success. More scouring. At last! I have found the holy grail! A beautiful hammer.

Now you may be thinking this will end badly, but I am here to reasure you that it does not end as horribly as you are expecting. Except, perhaps, for the neighbors downstairs who had to listen to this racket, I managed to hack and claw my way in to the corn. Sure, it may look like a deseased racoon went to town on it, but the corn is mine.

The broccolli has now thawed and everything goes smoothly. The casserole is currently in the oven warming for Jena's return and for dinner to commence. Order of buissness for tomorrow: get a can opener.


1 comment:

  1. hummmmmmmm don't you collect knives? there wasn't a jack knife among the bunch, that might have a can opener? I am glad you finalllllllllllly got into the can of corn! I remember the samething happening in my home.........but I was lucky to have my Girl Scout knife :D

    ReplyDelete